Native Foods - Healthy Options

A refuge for healthy vegans living the high carb low fat lifestyle in the 3rd most overweight city in the USA. Pics and reviews of restaurants that cater to the oil free low fat McDougall Munchers

Native Foods - Healthy Options

Postby lex on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Native Foods In Westwood has long been a favorite destination of mine, but as I realized everything there was fried and covered in oil it fell out of favor with me. We went there today to see if we could create a healthy meal.

Our two choices where
#1. The MadCowboy MINUS Ranch MINUS Soy SUB grilled oil veg for STEAMED veggies and NO SAUCE. All NF sauces are HIGH IN FAT. You can get the ingredients from the register. We tried the curry on the side, but the main ingredient is coconut milk so I just slightly dipped a few cauliflower spears into it. They have hot sauce / salt&pepper & Ketchup and Mustard.

So basically there is a tasty baked potato under all that.

madcowboyhealthy.jpg
Mad Cowboy Bowl w/o bad stuff
madcowboyhealthy.jpg (82.33 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

#2. The Iron Yam Salad MINUS dressing MINUS Caramelized Onions MINUS tofu I had a really weak Yam or otherwise it'd have been better.

Still for $20 these dishes made me wish I had just gone to Whole Foods and made them myself for $3 but if you're in a rush and need to eat Healthy Low Fat Vegan at least this is a nice organic option that'll keep you looking great.

ironyam.jpg
Native Foods Iron Yam Salad
ironyam.jpg (77.1 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
lex
Site Admin

Re: Native Foods - Healthy Options

Postby Kristin on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:13 am

My Healthy Mad Cowboy was definitely worth $11!!! The seasoning were just right...all I added was soy sauce and a couple drops of curry sauce. It was such a nice change to eat something green, wholesome,and oil-free. I didn't even feel guilty for eating my whole plate way before Lex even touched his yams...I think he's just bitter he got the crappy dish!!! :lol:
Kristin

Return to McDougall Eating In Los Angeles