PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Say hello to other Vegans in LA. Feel free to be brief or long winded. What part of LA you live in? Favorite Veg spots. Anything else that you don't feel is too personal for the internet!

Re: PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Postby lex on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Hey Shannon welcome to Vegan-LA.com & welcome to veganism!
I am eating a wider variety of food now

This is the best part about being vegan since most people think its LIMITING, but in reality I eat a wider variety of food than 1000s of omnis combined!

Eating a diet high in fat & free oils (olive oil, canola oil) etc causes breakouts. The second you eat the oily product the oil RUSHES into your body and OOOZES out your larger pores almost immediately. The bacteria on your face break the fat down into small fatty acids which irritate your skin and cause redness and lead to infections/acne. I personally can't eat even a drop of oil or fat w/o getting a face full of zits the next morning. I can name them (soy cheese pizza zit, amy's frozen meal zit, etc). Eliminate all oils from your cooking. They are not needed on a healthy diet. Use steam, boiling and baking to replace them. Be more mindful when you're buying products from the grocery store and look at the CALORIES FROM FAT vs the % of weight. If something is 100 calories and 80 calories are from fat, its 80% fat, but the box shows you by weight & % of the USRDA and may show as little as 7% for something that is PURE FAT. 2 Table Spoons of Olive Oil have as much artery clogging saturated fat as 3 breasts of chicken. Also, there are 150 grams of fat in non stick fat free cooking spray so don't believe the lies on nutritional info!
Here's some websites to help
www.fatfreevegan.com
www.drmcdougall.com
www.thehealthyvegans.com (our blog)
lex
Site Admin

Postby OhHappyDay on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I'm loving the strong vegan community. Honestly, this transition, thus far, has been so natural and (dare I say) easy. I haven't felt isolated or limited, which I think were the primary reasons I didn't make the change sooner. It's great to have this forum to seek advice from seasoned vegan veterans :) THANK YOU!

I will be taking close note of my fat intake. My weight has been on a pretty steady decline, so I haven't been paying any attention (umm...whoops?). Now that I'm looking like I'm back in jr. high, that will change!
OhHappyDay

Postby lex on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:36 pm

IF you're over 21 also check out our Meetup Group http://www.meetup.com/vegandrinks/ we have a party this saturday at 8pm at The Waffle in Hollywood that you can RSVP for on our meetup home page!
lex
Site Admin

Postby JazzyVeg88 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:09 pm

Hi, I'm Jazzy, I've been a vegan for four years, and was a vegetarian for a few years before that. I just recently moved to downtown LA from Hacienda Heights, I'm also a member on meetup.com I'm probably the laziest, and least active health nut I've ever known. However i do enjoy hiking, and the occasional pilates class. I'm 21, and hope to find more time to be interactive on both meetup. and here! :)
'
JazzyVeg88

Postby lex on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Welcome Jazzy! A lot of the veggie hiker's meetup people come to Vegan Drinks, too!
lex
Site Admin

Postby RSN-West on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:42 am

Hi, I'm Chris in West LA. I've been Vegan for about 2 months. Before that, I was mostly vegetarian for 2 years. Before going Vegan, I felt good and now I feel great ! I exercise a lot with a lot of running. Since going Vegan, my running has improved by 5-10%. Coincidence ?

I'm a fan of Drs. Fuhrman, McDougall, Esselstyn, etc.. and currently reading The China Study.
RSN-West

Postby lex on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:09 pm

China Study is my favorite book & Dr. McDougall is my favorite person on the planet! Welcome to the board!
lex
Site Admin

Postby joanc on Tue May 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Hi, I'm Joan. While I'm not vegan, I'm still trying out every vegan restaurant and food product I see because I think it's a good way to live.

I love the China Study, but I've gone off of McDougall, mostly because I started reading other health books and trying out different things, and found that a more raw-oriented diet (nuts, fruit and veggie juices) gave me much more alertness at work and paradoxically also allowed me to sleep better. I really, really tried to follow the McDougall plan to the letter, but man, I kept running into personal issues that probably should not be discussed on a public forum.
joanc

Postby lex on Tue May 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Joan email Dr. McDougall! Its a tough plan to follow on your own without learning all the ins and outs! He always writes everyone back. Welcome to the forum!
lex
Site Admin

Postby imonlycooking on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:37 am

hello, my name is Juliana, i am Brazilian and i am a vegetarian five years and vegan for a year and a half.
i like to cook and have a vegan cooking blog that is written in Portuguese, my language (but put a translator there for anyone to be able to understand what I write).

i'm going to LA later this month, see my boyfriend who lives there.
i hope to meet all these restaurants i've been hearing talk about the blogs ...
and eat all the vegan things who haven't found here, as vegan marshmallow, vegan cheese, vegan pizza and other things ...
:)

http://imonlycooking.blogspot.com
imonlycooking

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself [Start Here For Posting]