PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Say hello to other Vegans in LA. Feel free to be brief or long winded. What part of LA you live in? Favorite Veg spots. Anything else that you don't feel is too personal for the internet!

Re: PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Postby lex on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Adele EXTRA Happy to have you on Vegan-LA! I read The McDougall Plan in 1997 and it changed my life forever as well! I went on the Costa Rica trip with him a few summers ago and it was a blast! Please note the McDougall Forum where I've been slacking on posting McDougall friendly restaurant food! Its very difficult in LA to get healthy vegan food its usually SMOTHERED IN OIL. I fell off the wagon when I moved here a year ago and gained 15 pounds eating at all the vegan restaurants. In January I did the McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss and lost 10 of them in just 2 weeks and have been slowly working on the last 5 and getting better at eating out McDougall Style. I've been successful at getting the Vegan Thai restaurants to cook w/o oil for me, but aside from the meals you see in pictures on Vegan-La I eat 95% at home McDougall Style! I've got tons of his cook books and am pretty creative at nuking the fat from popular vegan cook books like Veganomicon!
lex
Site Admin

Postby tomN on Tue May 19, 2009 9:30 am

I'm tom. I'm a cartoonist/painter/animator living in Atwater village (where you can get awesome vegan tacos at Hugo's just down the street). I've been Vegan for 9 years and I've lived in L.A. for 9 years. I'm happy I found this forum.

I wasn't gonna promote myself on here, but I saw several of you posted your blogs, etc, so i figured what the hell... My artwork and comics aren't specifically about being vegan, but I am vegan and I am an artist. If you're interested, my website is here: www.iwilldestroyyou.com
tomN

Postby lex on Tue May 19, 2009 1:00 pm

Welcome to the board, Cool website! That Hugos is definitely the best!!! I wish I lived within walking distance of it!
lex
Site Admin

Postby susielol on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:46 am

Hello everyone! :) I am susielol. I am a n00b Vegetarian of almost two years and a recent Vegan. My husband and I met when I weighed over 200 lbs at 5 feet 3 inches, when my diet consisted mostly of Hispanic, fatty, meat-based dishes :oops: He is 6 feet tall and weighed 130 at the time! I became a Vegetarian not by the influence of my husband (he became Veg because he was raised that way, not because of any strong moral convictions), but instead, somewhere along my quest to becoming healthy, as I was studying through nursing school. I lost 50 lbs within a year of going Veg (along with regular exercise), and have recently gained 20 pounds back, since becoming Vegan! :oops: *sigh* I blame discovering yummy Vegan restaurants with deep-fried options, large portions, and decadent desserts! :mrgreen: I originally became Vegetarian for health reasons, but became Vegan because of what I had heard about the production of dairy (there is a legal amount of blood and pus allowed in milk? Eek!) and the living conditions and treatment of milking cows and egg-laying hens... The documentary, Earthlings, totally had me bawling, turning away, angry... It was like watching the Passion. My husband became Vegan after checking out Earthlings on his own (you can watch the entire documentary for free on You Tube). Anyway, my husband and I love going out and enjoying what LA has to offer through compassionate cuisine and festivities! :)
Last edited by susielol on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
susielol

Postby lex on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:16 pm

Welcome to the board Susie! I'm a recovering overweighter, too. I went Vegan the right way 10+ years ago after reading a The McDougall Plan and living in a small town with great veggies and no vegan crap. I ate a diet based on "The Veggie of the Day" and rice from our local veggie restaurant Main Squeeze (columbia, mo) but over the years the Vegan options went American Crappola and I quickly went back into ill health eating fried tofu, mock meat, cookies & cakes daily. I'm renewed in my Healthy Vegan lifestyle after a few months in LA threw me off track with the suicidal vegan options on every corner. I'm going to start working on healthy vegan listings all over LA and blogging about what Kristin and I eat on a daily basis so everyone can see being a healthy vegan rocks, too!
lex
Site Admin

Postby susielol on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:41 pm

That's awesome, Lex! I am looking forward to that! I need to get back on the healthy track and reserve ordering those not-so-healthy dishes only for special occasions ;) You and Kristin must look and feel great! :D
susielol

Postby Gauri Radha on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi to everyone!

I'm Gauri, I'm a dancer, and I'm a vegetarian transitioning over to becoming completely vegan. (I'd like to do this because I love animals.)

I live in Los Angeles, and found this board through links posted on QuarryGirl Forum.

I'm looking forward to learning more and meeting new people. I'm very glad to find so many online blogs and resources! :D
Punjabi Vegan Hindu Dancer
Gauri Radha

Postby lex on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Welcome to the board! How can you go wrong with so many outstanding Los Angeles bloggers showcasing how great being vegan here is!
lex
Site Admin

Postby Gauri Radha on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 pm

True, and thanks for the welcome Lex!
Punjabi Vegan Hindu Dancer
Gauri Radha

Postby OhHappyDay on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi,

I'm Shannon. I've been vegetarian for about three years, but only dabbled in veganism. Something clicked recently and I have committed myself to a vegan lifestyle. I am eating a wider variety of food now, cooking more, spending less (ironically enough, it's incredible how much money you save by NOT eating out...though, if some of these vegan restaurants live up to their hype and pictures, that will probably change), and feeling lighter. Although, my face is breaking out like it never has before-- I've read about detoxing when transitioning into a vegan diet, hopefully this clears up? Anywhoo, I live on the westside. Moved here last year from New York. If New York and LA were to have a lovechild, that is where I'd want to live. I love NY's energy, but I do no want to live without a beach (Brighton beach does not qualify), mountains to hike, and temperate weather year round :) YAY LA!
OhHappyDay

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself [Start Here For Posting]