PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Say hello to other Vegans in LA. Feel free to be brief or long winded. What part of LA you live in? Favorite Veg spots. Anything else that you don't feel is too personal for the internet!

Re: PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Postby atomique on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:54 am

Awesome, thanks!
atomique

Postby Linda on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi! Thanks for this forum. Me & my fella have been in LA now for 4 years (we're originally British), but I'm sure there's loads we've yet to discover here. (Not having a car doesn't help!)

I'm one of the co-host of the SoCal Green group over on Care2, if anyone wants to check us out:
http://www.care2.com/c2c/group/SoCal

We've also been working on our own SoCal Green map, that you might find useful:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&mrt=kmlkmz&msa=0&msid=118004650413820983458.000451766c47c64bbc768&z=9
Linda

Postby lex on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:29 pm

So glad to have you on the forum! Yes I have used your map a few times!
lex
Site Admin

Postby Christina on Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi my name is Christina, I am 22, have lived in LA all my life, have been veg for 7 years and recently stopped eating dairy as of a few months ago (Thanksgiving time 08 maybe??) Anyway I love to bake, cook, and go out to stuff my face w/ delicious vegan food. I feel like I have been almost everywhere in LA until I started looking at this site and found so many hidden treasures! See you on the boards soon!
Christina

Postby lex on Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Welcome Welcome! Congrats on freeing yourself from the Dairy Beast! What was the tipping point for you?
lex
Site Admin

Postby Christina on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:31 pm

I was cutting back on dairy for a few years and then after a while it just started making my stomach hurt and there are so many delicious dairy alternatives that I ate anyway so why not just cut it all out and I haven't been back it since!
Christina

Postby lex on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:25 am

Outstanding thank you for sharing that!
lex
Site Admin

vegan comedian

Postby leoflowers on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:14 am

Hey all! I'm from Chicago and have been a vegan for a little over a year...I've seen too many people die in my family from a poor diet and worked with too many kids who are obese and diabetic. I'm looking forward to making new vegan friends and discovering more vegan restaurants/recipes. Have a creative week!
Leo Flowers
Laff, Cry, 'NDie®
facebook.com/leoflowers
twitter.com/leoflowers
leoflowers

Postby lex on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Glad to have you Leo!
lex
Site Admin

Postby organicvegan511 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Adele DaMate and I am a Kindergarten teacher in Los Feliz. In 1996 I was an unhappy, very overweight mother of one and was given a book written by Dr. McDougall. It changed my life forever. I followed the program for three years then became pregnant again and caved in to pressure from relatives(mostly in-laws) to eat animal products again. I was primarily vegetarian during the pregnancy, (I completey regret my lack of resolve now) and soon realized after giving birth, and gaining back the weight that I had previously lost, that I didn't feel good again. I needed a boost. So in 2005, I became a permanent vegan again after attending the Dr. McDougall 10 day live-in program. It was so inspirational....then I got home. Yikes! It has been an uphill battle, even living here in LA. Of ALL of the people I know, family, friends, coworkers, parents of students, only ONE, is a vegan. It is so hard. Especially at get-togethers or meetings. Well, just about anywhere that there is mixed food. I have found all of the great vegan restaurants in the area and drag my sons and husband to them. They completely support me but refuse to give up animal products. I am 100% convinced I am doing the right thing for my body and my families' health. I do the cooking, so they eat my vegan meals but my husband will sneak in meat (usually fast food. Ugh!) Lately, I have gotten tired of friends and family not completely understanding and supporting my decision. No one is hostile but I don't have anyone to share my organic veganess with. It's lonely, which is what brought me to this blog. I hope to find friends that I can share ideas and frustrations with. Thank you so much for starting it up.

Hoping to meet other like-minded vegans.

Adele

I also read the book Ominvore's Dilemma and now have a large organic garden and 4 chickens in my backyard. I sell the eggs to coworkers,who love them and give away, exchange, extra veggies to neighbors.
organicvegan511

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself [Start Here For Posting]