That's Amore [CLOSED]

Breaking news on new Vegan Eating Venues

Re: That's Amore

Postby Michelle on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:44 pm

All products with cheese contain DAIRY cheese but you can request VEGAN cheese instead for $1.95 per item. Pizza just isn't pizza without some form of cheese imho. :D

The owner told us she had trouble at first with melting the vegan cheese so they perfected the method and walah! gooy-melting-vegan cheese pizza! All toppings for the pizza (and all ingredients) are vegan. One thing I forgot to note in my HappyCow review is the fact that their menu clearly states "vegan dishes cooked with exclusive utensils."

The owner and entire staff was really friendly chatting it up w/every table. The cannoli was amazing! All vegan of course. The owner said she's read a lot of great reviews and is glad people like their food. We assured her we would post more great reviews and refer more people her way. I really, really hope this place does good business. The food is amazing, the prices are affordable, the staff is kind & caring, and everything is VEGAN. This place is definately worth the trip to Cerritos for anyone on the West Side. Thankfully it's a (albeit long) hop, skip, & jump down a couple of main roads for me. Too bad it's too far for free delivery, but take-out is always an option. :D

There were 3 in our party last night- 1 vegetarian & 2 vegans. We split an order of bruschetta to start (very fresh & flavorful) and ordered 2 seperate pies, 1 Potato Rosemary pizza w/regular cheese for the vegetarian (she assured us it was quite flavorful) and 1 That's Amore w/added bell pepper & vegan cheese. The owner reminded us to save room for cannolis which we all eagerly enjoyed. They're working on getting a website up soon but so far business has mainly been due to word of mouth.

Not sure how clear you can read the menu in these pics...

What I managed to save for Friday's lunch.
Michelle

Postby lex on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:10 pm

wow I wish that was closer! That pizza looks perfect!
lex
Site Admin

Postby quarrygirl on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:04 pm

michelle, you are awesome. i will be trying this place at the absolute soonest opportunity.
quarrygirl

Postby mosez on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:40 pm

We went to That's Amore last night and it was awesome. We talked with the owner Marina for a long time and found out a lot about their restaurant. All the food was incredible. Finally a vegan itallian place. One of the coolest things was how hard they make sure vegan and vegetarian foods are kept separate. After they decided to make the switch to a veggie/vegan place, they got rid of all their old equipment and bought all new pots and pans and utensils. They now have separate utensils for veggie and vegan. All of the equipment for vegan food has a big V etched on the tools, the pizza servers, the pizza cutters, etc.. They have pots and pans dedicated to the vegan items as well. Luckily for us Marina did a ton of research on everything vegan to make sure all of the ingredients are vegan and how to keep everything separate. They used to be a non-veggie itallian restaurant before and while some of their old customers still come because the food is so good, she also lost some of her old customers who were too afraid to try the vegetarian thing. We need to spread the word and make sure she gets a ton of new customers. How often does a carnivore place decided to switch to vegan. thats awesome.

We ordered a ton of food to try out a bunch of different items. We got 2 different pizzas, fettuccine Alfredo, garlic bread, and canollis. One of the pizzas was the Margarita with some added toppings which had melted gooey vegan cheese and was incredible. The second was the Potato Rosemary which was equally good without the vegan cheese. They make their own dough and cook it in a pizza oven, traditional new york style, it was awesome. The fettuccine Alfredo has a bechamel sauce for the vegan version and used spinach noodles, it was super creamy and really tasty. Th canollis were awesome. A crispy fried shell filled with creamy goodness and sprinkled with chocolate chips. We are definitely going back regularly, and i am in trouble because they are within delivery distance to my work. The staff is super nice and helpful, just let them know you want everything vegan.

margarita pizza extra toppings
potato rosemary pizza
fettuccine Alfredo
Canolli

I also put up a scan of their takeout menu at vegan-oc dot com

mosez
mosez

Postby lex on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:46 pm

wow, wow, wow! great pics!
lex
Site Admin

Postby Michelle on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:49 am

Had to return to That's Amore for dinner w/hubby last night. We split a pizza & ordered 2 sandwiches- I am determined to try everything on their menu! :D

I just discovered this place serves beer & wine, saw a couple guys at another table ordering beer. I'm thinking vegan meetup and/or vegan drinks meetup here...hint hint. :D You could easily fit a large group of veggies & vegans in 1/2 the restaurant and scoot the tables around so everyone could mingle well. The owners/staff are extremely friendly & accomodating. I would love to see this place get more business, like I said I'm determined to return again & again myself. :)
Michelle

Postby lex on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:09 pm

noted!
lex
Site Admin

Postby mosez on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:27 pm

just went there for lunch, pizza was again incredbile.
only concern is that we were the only people there.
come on everyobdy, this place is awesome!!
spread the word.
mosez

Postby lex on Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:41 pm

I really want to head there! Its just so far away!!! I've all but given up on driving in LA and have been walking around my neck of the woods. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if they can do oil free pasta and head there this weekend.
lex
Site Admin

Postby quarrygirl on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:07 am

lex, if you drive all the way out there, you gotta get the pizza! making the trip for pasta just wouldn't be worth it. :?
quarrygirl

PreviousNext

Return to New Vegan Eats