Vegan Korean

Vegan Korean

Postby RSN-West on Fri May 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Anyone have much experience with Korean restaurants ? It's not just BBQed dead animals.

I found Dwen Jeng. It's soy paste (like miso) soup/stew with lots of veggies (potatoes, zucchini and mushrooms) and tofu. It has a different flavor than miso. First bite was strange, but by the end I liked it. I didn't ask if it was 100% vegan, but it seems to be.

Korean's serve lots of small side dishes. All seem vegan, except the potato salad that has mayo.

Another favorite is Kimchi hot pot (with tofu). It's got little pieces of pork that I eat around. Last time I had it, I couldn't find the pork. I think Kimchi is really healthy because it's cabbage, which has a high ANDI score.
RSN-West

Re: Vegan Korean

Postby lex on Sat May 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Korean Food is my favorite. Here's my own vegan Dukbogi viewtopic.php?f=28&t=359 My absolute favorite thing to eat on the planet. At some of the farmer's markets there is Dave's Korean Food
http://www.yelp.com/biz/daves-gourmet-k ... os-angeles
lex
Site Admin

Postby CousCous on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:31 pm

I used to work in a Korean restaurant and there are a lot of decent options but they can also be very very sneaky. If you are at all worried about gluten, flour, or eggs you need to be very aware what you are ordering. Like you said, the kim-chi hot pot is the best option, though it can be quite spicy.
"Don't Tell Me You Are Seriously Eating That"
The Best Vegan Blog:
http://veganyumyum.com/restaurant
CousCous

Postby DarmaF on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:58 am

Is there any Korean restaurants with a vegan menu? I've never tried to eat at a Korean restaurant because of not knowing what was in the meals. I'll have to remember about the kim-chi if I ever end up in a Korean restaurant.
Darma - eat for life, save with coupons
DarmaF

Postby joy2397 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:45 am

RSN-West wrote:Anyone have much experience with Korean restaurants ? It's not just BBQed dead animals.

I found Dwen Jeng. It's soy paste (like miso) soup/stew with lots of veggies (potatoes, zucchini and mushrooms) and tofu. It has a different flavor than miso. First bite was strange, but by the end I liked it. I didn't ask if it was 100% vegan, but it seems to be.

Korean's serve lots of small side dishes. All seem vegan, except the potato salad that has mayo.

Another favorite is Kimchi hot pot (with tofu). It's got little pieces of pork that I eat around. Last time I had it, I couldn't find the pork. I think Kimchi is really healthy because it's cabbage, which has a high ANDI score.

Korean food is one of my favorite! Can't wait to try ASAP. Thanks for sharing!
joy2397

Return to Vegan Food By Catagories