Vegan Ramen

Vegan Ramen

Postby RSN-West on Sat May 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Just curious, does Vegan Ramen exist ?

Last two times I had Ramen:
- Yasai (veggie) Ramen had chicken broth and a hard boiled egg
- Miso Ramen had pork

I'm a healthy vegan, so 0.1% of non-vegan is OK with me. I just eat around the egg and pork.
It would be cool if someone made a true Yasai Ramen, especially if it was on the westside.

Chris
RSN-West

Re: Vegan Ramen

Postby lex on Sun May 09, 2010 3:10 am

you mean at a restaurant or grocery? If grocery you can def get the organic kind. I'm sure you can find vegan out and about, just depends on your asian language skills :P
lex
Site Admin

Postby RSN-West on Sun May 09, 2010 10:41 am

Restaurant
RSN-West

Postby lex on Sun May 09, 2010 11:22 am

I'd try those sawtalle Japanese ramen places. most of them have a website with email contact. You can find them all on yelp. I'd highly suggest having the Japanese page from your Vegan Passport ripped out to hand to the chef. You can definitely get eggless noodles and broth w/o fish, and them to hold the animal parts, but it'd be a challenge :). Maybe Shojin, Seed, J's Kitchen, Inaka or MCafe could do a Ramen special, at least you know you'd be safe at those Vegan friendly and 100% vegan Japanese establishments.
lex
Site Admin

Postby lex on Mon May 10, 2010 12:10 am

You lucked out. http://gogovegan-shojin.blogspot.com/20 ... ramen.html Shojin is all over it.
lex
Site Admin

Postby RSN-West on Mon May 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't go to downtown much.
RSN-West

Postby lex on Mon May 10, 2010 5:26 pm

If you haven't been to Shojin I recommend it as a fabulous and unique Los Angeles Vegan experience! Also, you can ask them what ordinarily makes ramen not vegan and they would probably be kind enough to write down something in Japanese to hand to your local ramen places next time you go to see if you can get a vegan version!

Do NOT miss out on Shojin, though! Its an easy drive and free (validated) parking in the garage at night. Super safe since you park on the same level as shojin (or one down) and just walk across a bridge from the garage into little tokyo mall and up an escalator to shojin. I think I'll go as far as saying that its the #1 Vegan Restaurant Experience in all of LA, for the following; Japanese 100% Vegan is rare - Culturally immersed location (everything around shojin is Japanese, its in little tokyo) - Fantastic Food - nicest service possible - vegan fun sushi - desserts - free parking - easy parking - no traffic at night.
lex
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Food By Catagories