vegan thai restaurants, which is the best?

vegan thai restaurants, which is the best?

Postby quarrygirl on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:41 pm

ok, fellow la vegans: you are probably familiar with all the thai vegan restaurants with the word "vegan" in their title. we got CA vegan, vegan express, truly vegan, vegan glory, greenleaves vegan, the vegan joint, lotus vegan, vegan plate, vegan house....and i'm sure a ton more. which of these restaurants is the best? i know they are all kind of the same...but i am leaning towards the vegan joint or maybe vegan glory.
Last edited by quarrygirl on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
quarrygirl

Re: vegan thai restaurants, which is the best?

Postby lex on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:27 pm

I have a special place in my heart for "The Vegan Joint" the parking sucks, but they are so nice and speedy! I have a few left still to go to, though.
lex
Site Admin

Postby quarrygirl on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:10 am

the vegan joint! that's the one i meant! not the vegan spot, the vegan spot doesn't even count because it's not thai!
quarrygirl

Postby lex on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:15 pm

haha, I just figured there might be two vegan spots or something! One time at the Vegan Joint it was so packed the waitresses were literally SPRINTING to service people faster so they could accommodate the crowd. I have never seen service like that in all my life. People that care and it shows in the tastiness of the food, too! -also they carry No Udder Desserts!
lex
Site Admin

Postby quarrygirl on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:02 pm

desserts! bloody hell. i need to go back soon! maybe i will hit up the irish times as well.....HMMMM!
quarrygirl

Postby veganskier1 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:53 pm

Eat at these places at your own risk:

http://www.livingvegan.org/Articles/vie ... posed.html
veganskier1

Postby lex on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:31 pm

great link!
lex
Site Admin

Postby veganskier1 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:45 pm

I started thinking about this issue again when I saw that Vegemaster Pepper Steak (sold at Whole Foods) contains egg whites. How many companies out there are selling something called "Pepper steak"?

Eating at a vegan restaurant should entitle an ethical vegan to assume that his or her order is consistent with his or her ethical code. The living vegan post, however, shows that greater care may be necessary when eating at an LA Thai vegan place. Just two months ago I saw non-vegan desserts at the takeout desk of California Vegan.
veganskier1

Postby lex on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:41 pm

The Vegan Society in the UK licenses their Trademark for that very purpose (we can do the same with an LA Vegan Society) Their fee is about $300 a year for their seal and you have to send in signed documents from your suppliers. With a little unity we can brand a similar trademark for the LA Vegan community and have the ability to enforce veganism at LA's vegan restaurants.
lex
Site Admin

Postby drew on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:41 am

most of these spots i refer to as "McVegan" - there are a few good ones like vegan express or truly vegan, and a few bad ones... some of them really bad
by far the best one, and in a category of its own for quality, presentation, and price has got to be Bulan on Melrose

They used to be called Busaba, but a restaurant in London with the same name put an end to that, and they are now known as Bulan

One of my favorite dishes there is the Sizzling Pra Ram - which is spinach, cucumbers, red onions, cashews, and tofu with peanut sauce. Comes out like a fajita where it is cooking on your table.

http://www.bulanthai.com/
drew

Next

Return to Vegan Food By Catagories