Napa and/or winetasting?

Napa and/or winetasting?

Postby tomN on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:47 pm

Anyone know anything about Napa and the wineries?
My wife and I were thinking of doing a roadtrip up there for our anniversary.
Looking for a vegan friendly B&B or place to stay.
Also vegan friendly wineries?

Any ideas?
tomN

Re: Napa and/or winetasting?

Postby lex on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:19 pm

that is next up on my list! There is an old VegNews with a Nappa travel article and a really cool restaurant that we've been dying to go to!!! If and when you go please let us know!!!!!!!
lex
Site Admin

Postby quarrygirl on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:27 am

i want to go on this REALLLLLLLY bad!
quarrygirl

Postby tomN on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks- I'll look for that VegNews. Any idea which issue?

I have a good friend living in Napa who is vegan and he says it's not the most vegan-friendly area.

I'll report anything I find back here.
tomN

Postby lex on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 am

http://www.ubuntunapa.com/

http://swenconn.powweb.com/current_issue.html I guess it was just a restaurant review in VegNews and not a Travel bit
lex
Site Admin

Postby lex on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:24 pm

We did a quick loop through here and stayed at the Standford Inn. Road trip info coming soon. All I can say is that as soon as the weather is right we are going back with all our friends to do it proper, we only had time for a tiny taste and it is mind blowing!
lex
Site Admin

Postby tomN on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:33 am

We just got back. The trip was really great and totally worth it. Finding stuff to eat wasn't as difficult as I thought.

We stayed at The Beazley House B&B which was very accommodating to my vegan needs. For the breakfast, they make a special house granola that is vegan except for honey. They also made a vegan quinoa salad one morning. Plenty of fruit, too. We called ahead and told them I was vegan and they had soy milk ready and available. The B&B and room were awesome. http://www.beazleyhouse.com/index.php

We walked downtown from the B&B and found several restaurants that had edibles- falafel sandwiches one day at a cafe I can't remember the name of. Hummus wraps at another deli. A decent sushi place that had several veggie rolls on the menu. And Raley's and Whole Foods are in the area for groceries (our room had a fridge and kitchen sink, but no microwave or stove). One guy recommended a Mexican place in Calistoga as having veggie options, but we didn't eat there.

The best part of the trip was taking a self-guided wine tour on bikes through the Calistoga area. There's a package bike-rental wine-tasting tour that we got from the Calistoga Bike shop. $80 includes: bike, helmet, map of nearby wineries, a wrist band that gets you free wine-tastings at 6 local boutique wineries that are all located on the 17 mile loop marked on the map (most wineries charge $10 per person for tasting- so the wristband was a really good deal), plus if you buy any wine, the bike shop will pick it up for you and have it waiting when you return the bikes. We found a great deli on Lincoln (down the street from the bike shop) that had some veggie sandwich options. I didn't quiz the wineries about how vegan their wine is, though (some wineries use egg whites in the fining process). If you're worried about that, you might wanna call ahead (wineries included were Twomey, Dutch Henry, August Briggs, Vincent Arroyo, Benton Lane and Envy). The biking was mostly easy and flat through beautiful vineyards and small neighborhoods. It's the "Cool Wine Tour" : http://calistogabikeshop.com/page.cfm?pageid=147

We ate at Ubuntu one night. It was not what we were expecting at all. I thought it would be something along the lines of Real Food Daily, but it's actually more of a gourmet "foodie" type restaurant. The portions were tiny and all about presentation and pleasing the pallete, rather than filling you up. We had to order 2 entrees per person plus appetizers. Dinner for 4 with a glass of wine each ran us $300 (with the tip) and we were all still hungry afterwards. The food was tastey, and it was kinda fun for the experience of eating at a really frou-frou place, but I won't ever go there again- way too expensive, and not enough food. Also- it's not all vegan, and some of the vegan options were that you got less food: for example my friend ordered a dish that involved Squash and Zucchini walnut bread, specifying for them to make it "vegan" and they brought him the squash without the zucchini bread (he really wanted the bread). And the only vegan desert option was a $12 scoop of sorbet. Overall I was very disappointed, but my wife enjoyed it. So 5 stars if you're up for the frou-frou experience. No stars if you want a satisfying vegan meal after a day of biking around. http://www.ubuntunapa.com/
tomN

Postby lex on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:21 pm

Great write up Tom, thanks for sharing! yeah Ubuntu is definitely a place to be seen at! The whole Yoga Studio confused the heck out of me because its run like a 5 star restaurant with tons of art work, great design, etc. We were extra hard on them and made them create everything vegan oil free, but they stepped up and we had a great time, but like you said its food as ART, lol. We def did a TON of driving through all the towns to hit up amazing vegan restaurants found on Happycow and via Dr. McDougall's Santa Rosa listings.

Here's a short write up on the Sanford Inn by the Sea we just did. http://www.thehealthyvegans.com/2009/10 ... d-inn.html
lex
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Road Trips