LA to Santa Barbara

LA to Santa Barbara

Postby lex on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:09 pm

So its an 88 mile drive up to Santa Barbara and worth every minute (60 if you drive fast) after you nose back toward the ocean you are rewarded with beautiful views of the Channel Islands. Why these citizens would approve all those oil rigs in between is beyond me...
Santa Barbra has a few vegan friendly places, but Nature Cafe is right on State Street in the heart of the quaint downtown area where you can walk the streets and soak up the sun and charm. Sojouner Cafe is just off the main strip and has a bit more inventive vegan offerings such as Tempeh Tacos, and a Rueben. You can also stop and grab a vegan cupcake at Crushcakes.

Don't forget to drive up to the Mission and then take the scenic drive and when you get to the top of the hill take some left turns to go even hirer off the beaten path! On your way back stop at Butterfly Beach at the Olive Mill exit.

sojournercafe.jpg
sojournercafe.jpg (62.87 KiB) Viewed 1966 times

sojournerreuben.jpg
sojournerreuben.jpg (88.44 KiB) Viewed 1964 times

naturalcafe.jpg
naturalcafe.jpg (84.28 KiB) Viewed 1966 times

naturalcafenoveganbread.jpg
boo
naturalcafenoveganbread.jpg (81.51 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

naturalcafesoup.jpg
vegan corn bread
naturalcafesoup.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
lex
Site Admin

Re: LA to Santa Barbara

Postby Michelle on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:28 pm

This is a timely post! Just found out I might be heading up there in early March. Can't wait to see pics! :)
Michelle

Postby Michelle on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:23 am

Vegan cornbread is making me drool! :)

Glad I rechecked this post for pics & info. Everything on HappyCow seems to say "not 100% Vegetarian."
Michelle

Postby lex on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Happycow is set up only to promote Veg businesses so its basically for the rock stars and then you have to check yelp / vegguide / google / local veg societies to find all the random vegan eats! My #1 thing is to hit the most popular Veg restaurant first and ask everyone there where else to go.

SoJourner is def my fav in Santa Barbra so far.
lex
Site Admin

Postby atomique on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:17 pm

I've been to The Natural Cafe... It was decent!
atomique

Postby Michelle on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Just checked into our hotel in SB...havent located Crushcakes yet but it looks like Natural Cafe is walking distance from the hotel and Sojourner is pretty close too. Looking forward to a vegan cupcake...

Just located Crushcakes on yelp...seeme pretty close too. Yay! :D
Michelle

Postby lex on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:07 pm

make sure you call ahead to crushcakes because they run out of vegan cupcakes QUICK! but its not that far of a walk, and its on the way to Sojourner
lex
Site Admin

Postby Michelle on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Home from SB. It's an "ok" town but I liked Atlanta better. lol. The vegan options are way limited out here.

Ate at Natural Cafe once, Sojourner twice, grabbed a grip of vegan chocolate cupcakes from Crushcakes (2 actually made it all the way home!) and had dinner at some veg-friendly chinese restaurant that was pretty good (have to look up the name later). Also found a smoothie/juice bar/wheatgrass place in downtown where they will gladly make your smoothie non-dairy or add soy for a small charge.

Grabbed a drink at the Downtown Brewery Co (saw at least 2 locations, 1 next to our hotel on the corner of State & Hitchcock, another in the downtown area). Was pleasantly surprised to find a few vegetarian/vegan-friendly options on the menu. Had some amazing sweet potato fries that rivalled Veggie Grill & Seed! Downed a drink that translated to "very drunk margarita". :lol: Spotted a veggie sandwich where you could easily nix the cheese, a veggie burger, and a nice plate of hummus, veggies, & olives. This place has an amazing selection of beers and mixed drinks.

The scenic drive near the mission was lovely, the air was clearer, and the hiking was good but it's good to be back in LA. Drove the coast the entire way home and stopped by Seed for a late lunch. Finally had some of their soft serve, of course everything was amazing. :)
Michelle

Postby lex on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:14 pm

awesome great to hear about your trip! Yeah that road up by the Mission is great, last time I went off the beaten path and drove higher up the mountain and the views got better and better!
lex
Site Admin

Return to Vegan Road Trips