LA to VEGAS, is vegan eating possible?

Re: LA to VEGAS, is vegan eating possible?

Postby quarrygirl on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:12 pm

DAMN. i SO wish we could go to that potluck. i am having a family thanksgiving with my parents though, all vegan. muahahahhahahaaha.

please eat a donut for me. :)

i would offer to keep them for you, but we BOTH know i would eat them all.

must get together one of these days.
quarrygirl

Postby lex on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:42 am

It might get rained out and then I'm stuck with 24 of these devils. Can't wait to see your ThanksLiving pics!
lex
Site Admin

Postby Michelle on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:32 pm

Would you reccomend reservations for Red 8? I wonder if they'll be more busy or less busy right around Christmas. I'm thinking that'll be a nice spot for dinner on Christmas Eve. I've got visions of kung pao tofu & pineapple mojitos dancing in my head. :D
Michelle

Postby lex on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:21 pm

They don't take reservations, we didn't wait a second, but in high traffic they said the wait was under an hour, BUT THAT WOULD BE GOOD BECAUSE you just grab a drink at Parasol Down (or the secret hidden terrace above it on your right as you face the lake) and watch the Lake show, which is the best free show in vegas. (The patio outside at Parasol usually has a wait, too, but the upstairs one doesn't because people don't know its there)
lex
Site Admin

Postby Michelle on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 am

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like we'll just head out there and we can enjoy drinks & a nice view if there's a wait.

And if there's a veg meetup soon after we return home we just might bring some Ronald's for everyone to enjoy. I've never been a big donut fan so definately won't be able to finish say a whole dozen on my own. :D
Michelle

Postby lex on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:25 am

haha, that's a good thing with Ronalds, we over did it and suffered the consequences, lol.
lex
Site Admin

Postby Michelle on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:11 pm

Despite the consequences you know you'd do it again. :lol:
Michelle

Postby Michelle on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:48 pm

Had lunch at the new Whole Foods today...AWESOME!!! After seeing everything in their prepared foods dept & food bar area labeled "vegan" or "vegetarian" I quickly asked hubby "so when can we move here???" OMG they have a VEGAN HOT FOOD BAR!!!! Vegan samosas & rice & shawerma & mushroom gravy & all kinds of yummy goodness! And they have 1/2 a shelf of VEGAN truffles. Wow, at this rate I can try a different flavor each day. :shock: Just finished off a vegan chocolate chip cookie...yummy end to a yummy day!

Had dinner at Red Velvet Cafe- very good but kinda pricey ($30+ for 2). Brought home (our temporary home aka hotel room) a slice of vegan red velvet chocolate cake which will be tomorrow's breakfast. Enjoyed the vegan version of thai grilled chicken w/tomato basil coconut sauce over spaghetti w/a side of green salad (and not just a cheapo green salad, a nice mix of fresh greens) along w/vegan chicken nuggets (nice texture & yummy kick-in-your-mouth sauce foro dippin'). Hubby really enjoyed his quesadillas w/beans & rice, lots of flavor & tons of goodness inside. I'm learning that coconut & red onions make a nice flavor combination. As usual, I forgot to take pics of my meal but will try to remember to take pics of the delectable-looking red velvet cake in the morning.

We visited the holiday light festival at the nature preserve (didn't realize Vegas had one) tonight which was a nice Christmasy touch to the town and had a nice "education" in environmental studies. The whole place is filled w/eco-friendly learning & pro-vegan tips! They have an eco-friendly mock up house kids can walk through and learn about sustainable resources, recycling, our impact on the earth, etc. The gift shop was filled with a wide selection of vegan cookbooks & resources along w/organic gardening & cooking books, books on recycling, eco-friendly materials/building, and even raw foods. They also had a nice selection of handbags/wallets/accessories that were all made from 100% recycled materials like billboards, newspapers, & inner tubes. Way cool! :D

vegan red velvet cake from Red Velvet Cafe...YUMMY!!!
Last edited by Michelle on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle

Postby lex on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:03 pm

wow you are making out way better than I did!
lex
Site Admin

Postby Michelle on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:05 am

Kudos to lex on the great tip about the Wynn! :D

There was a 45min wait at Red 8 for a late dinner on Christmas Eve so we scooted downstairs to Parasol down for cocktails & a peek at the light/water show. I enjoyed a very nice hot apple martini- great flavors, nice & strong. The show was really nice and added to the already great ambiance. Back upstairs to our table at Red 8. We were super happy w/everything! Started w/the steamed vegetable buns, wasn't quite sure what to expect but they were really tasty. Hubby swore you're suppose to remove the thin paper wrapping from the bottom, I figured it was just part of the dish but didn't eat much of it incase it really was inedible. :lol: The pineapple mojita was amazing! Very strong, great flavors, definately would order again. I enjoyed the kung pao tofu- lots of tofu, nicely flavored. It's understandable how you're suppose to share dishes w/the rest of your party but there's no way I was giving up any of my tofu!

Now to see what's open Christmas Day. I was pretty bummed when I discovered Whole Foods is closed Christmas Day, had to call every location in the county just to make sure. *sigh* Today shall be an adventure...thankfully I have my HappyCow list w/me. :)
Michelle

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Road Trips