LA to VEGAS, is vegan eating possible?

Re: LA to VEGAS, is vegan eating possible?

Postby quarrygirl on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:26 am

so JEALOUS.
quarrygirl

Postby Michelle on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:12 am

I have to agree that after hours eating in Vegas is impossible for a vegan! I can't believe how early standard restaurants close out there. The only things open late are clubs (takes hours to get in anyway) and a few fast food places inside the major hotels (ewy!). That's just wack!

I've learned to keep a fridge & microwave in the room if we don't have a room w/a small kitchen and keep leftovers in there and then head back out on the town if necessary. But trying to get your grub on while out on the town is tough. I guess there isn't much of a demand for late night vegan food in Vegas.
Michelle

Postby lex on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:28 pm

Red 8 at the Wynn is THE best vegan meal you'll get in Vegas. Its a nice Chinese restaurant, supposedly Rachel Ray's (who has been doing more vegetarian lately) favorite restaurant. They'll sub Tofu in most of the dishes, but have steamed buns, curry, veggie dishes that are vegan from the get go. I wish I had pictures because it was hands down the best vegan meal I've had in current memory. The one thing about Vegas is that you get the top chefs in the world there so finding a fancy place that'll cater to a vegan will no doubt = food heaven.

I found a lot of options in Vegas, it just took some Vegan 1.0 survival skills. Sushi Roku (also in Santa Monica) has an Heirloom Tomato roll that'll blow your mind, along with a tofu steak that can be done vegan with a soy sauce subbed for the oyster.

There are plenty of Asian, Mexican, Italian places to grab a bite with friends on the strip. Off the strip we found late night FireFly tappas bar that made us a few nice dishes.

We also hit up the Raw place & Ronalds (I am forever banned: I have 2 dozen in my fridge for Thursday's pot luck, someone please volunteer to hold them for me...)
Attachments
ronalds2.jpg
ronalds2.jpg (51.64 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
ronalds.jpg
ronalds.jpg (47.61 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
ronaldsoutside.jpg
ronaldsoutside.jpg (45.98 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
purpleburrito.jpg
purpleburrito.jpg (51.2 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
rawpizza.jpg
rawpizza.jpg (49.37 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
lex
Site Admin

Postby Michelle on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Hm, looks like Red 8 is getting mixed reviews on yelp.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/red-8-las-vegas

Sounds like it's worth a shot though.

Glad to hear you didn't starve on your trip. :D
Michelle

Postby lex on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:02 pm

Yeah I read those reviews, too, but I think they were expecting too much from all the Rachel Ray hype and didn't have a finer eye for freshness. Trust me the place is AWESOME. I could go on for like 15 minutes about it. There are no reservations, so its not super fancy, but it is FANCY. The decor is really cool and its in the Wynn which is an experience in itself (you MUST hit Parasol Down bar or the small bar upstairs that overlooks their lake light show (seriously its like taking acid) cooler than the Bellagio's water show by far in a trippy sort of way. Red 8's food is SO FRESH. The veggies / peppers, potatoes in the curry, even the peanuts all look like the pick of the crop. The prices are reasonable and they've got good drinks, too. Pineapple Mohito! I did the Kung Pao Tofu (subbed tofu for chicken) and Kristin had the Curry my sis had Pad Thai and we all had steamed buns for an appetizer. Its set up to share so you can plan together what you want to try.
lex
Site Admin

Postby Michelle on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:55 am

lex wrote:The prices are reasonable and they've got good drinks, too. Pineapple Mohito! I did the Kung Pao Tofu (subbed tofu for chicken) and Kristin had the Curry my sis had Pad Thai and we all had steamed buns for an appetizer. Its set up to share so you can plan together what you want to try.

Um, you had me at Pineapple Mojito. LOL. I'm definately ordering the Kung Pao Tofu when I head out there. That sounds soooo good.
Michelle

Postby Kevin on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:21 am

Those donuts look like they have oil in them. You shouldn't eat them!
Kevin

Postby lex on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:11 pm

Kevin you have no idea! I gained like 5 pounds in one weekend in Vegas...
lex
Site Admin

Postby quarrygirl on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:18 pm

WOW. i so want one of those donuts!!!!

JEALOUS. so jealous.
quarrygirl

Postby lex on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:42 pm

Come to the pot luck on Thursday I'm bringing two dozen. Ronalds told me to refrigerate them and then thaw them out Thursday morn and they'd be as good as new. Anyone want to please hold them for me until then? I am weak, weak, weak, weak.... no self control.... none what so ever... "oh what's 2 dozen minus 1.... minus 2, 20 or 24, it said to bring enough for 8 to 10 so if I bring 16 then that means i can eat 8 more donuts...." So far they are all in tacked with the original tape on the box, but 42 hours of self restraint left...
lex
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Road Trips