Dee's Nuts

Bakeries that have Vegan Options, Ice Cream / Gelato, Food Carts, Food Trucks, Randomness

Dee's Nuts

Postby veganskier1 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:33 pm

LA may finally get its own vegan donuts: http://www.deesnutsdonuts.com/

I've been tracking these donuts for weeks ever since I saw a tweet announcing the donuts and an associated flickr gallery. She's now put up a website, but I still can't figure out where or how to get them.
veganskier1

Re: Dee's Nuts

Postby lex on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:20 pm

Interesting! Where'd you hear about this? They look similar to Vodoo Donuts in Portland where its the same base donut with different toppings.
lex
Site Admin

Postby deesnutsdonuts on Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:43 am

Hey guys. D here from Dee's Nuts Donuts. Here's the scoop: I have a kitchen space for my bakery (I'm making all sorts of good stuff other than donuts) on 1st Street (downtown-ish) at Utah. The storefront is Purgatory Pizza (not vegan). Soon, I'll probably be taking half of the double storefront space for a vegan bakery/cafe/donut shop. In the meantime, I'll have donuts, chocolate chip cookies and frosted sugar cookies available next week at: Intelligentsia, FIX, Chango, and maybe Vegan Spot.

If you have a restaurant or cafe near you that you think needs some vegan baked goods or donuts, let me know, and let them know!

I'm currently not marketing my goods as 'vegan' to the general public. I don't want to scare people off. You can't tell they're vegan, so why not make believers out of the "vegan food tastes like cardboard" contingent first, then drop the good news on them later or let them find out on their own and be awe-struck that a vegan donut didn't turn to ash and cinders in their mouths. :D
But, I'm asking my restaurant/cafe customers to put up an "ask about our vegan baked goods" sign, which I'll provide, so the vegan kids know that there's something for them.

Feel free to get in touch. I make up personal dozen(s) or half dozen orders too!

D
d@deesnutsdonuts.com
deesnutsdonuts

Postby lex on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:14 pm

Wow that is great!

So I'm guessing these are the locations;

#1. http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/retail/silverlake
3922 West Sunset Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90029

#2. Fix Coffee
2100 Echo Park Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90026
(323) 284-8962
www.fixcoffeeco.com

#3. Chango Coffee
1559 Echo Park Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90026
(213) 977-9161
www.changocoffee.com

SMART NOT TO ADVERTISE AS VEGAN, the V-Word is instant death when used on anything. We need to come up with a new word that means the same thing butt makes the general public think positively when they see it.

You can also just print the ingredients on your labels, because you know we're all label readers.

Can't wait to try out your goods! Thanks for posting and welcome to the board!
lex
Site Admin

Postby Kevin on Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:43 am

I think if she's already marketing her donuts as "Dee's Nuts" having the word vegan attached to them can't do THAT much harm. :)

"Oooohhh, I can't wait to get Dee's Nuts in my mouth!"
Kevin

Postby lex on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lex
Site Admin

Postby deesnutsdonuts on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:34 pm

8-)
deesnutsdonuts

Postby quarrygirl on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:12 pm

bwahahahahhaha. silly vegans!
quarrygirl

Postby lex on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:22 am

Guess who had Dee's Nuts tonight? <---- THIS GUY!!!! ME! Wow Dee nice work... I've gained 10 pounds having moved to LA and you're going to be the final straw in me need to buy all new pants. (j/k) VeganSkier brought them to his bday party and we divided them up like they were the last donuts on earth, even breaking some down into 1/16ths! I lucked out with getting about 1.375 donuts, but I loved the chocolate filled, sprinkles, frosted... basically all of them. I think you've got the texture down pat! CONGRATS!
lex
Site Admin

Postby quarrygirl on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:23 pm

so where do we get them? if veganskier could get them, does that mean they are available to the public?
quarrygirl

Next

Return to Random Vegan Eats - Desserts - Ice Cream