Fresh Foods Cafe- Long Beach/Catalina Island

Fresh Foods Cafe- Long Beach/Catalina Island

Postby Michelle on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:29 pm

While cycling through Long Beach today I spotted Fresh Foods Cafe next to the dock where you load up to head to Catalina Island. The stairs were WAY steep and I didn't feel like climbing so mentally noted to look them up later. They are vegan-friendly! Online menu states they have a vegetable soup (vegan), extensive salad bar (fresh, health ingredients including tofu) and have a vegan burger patty. Yeah, they have lots of dead animals on the menu but at least a few obviously and noted vegan options so you won't starve before heading to Catalina. Can't wait to check them out next time I'm out that way.

http://www.freshfoodscafe.com/
Michelle

Re: Fresh Foods Cafe- Long Beach/Catalina Island

Postby lex on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Oh that is awesome! The day we went to Catalina it was closed! but the cafe inside the Catalina Express has some veggies & a veggie burger that is supposedly vegan as well, but Fresh Foods sounds far superior!
lex
Site Admin

Re: Fresh Foods Cafe- Long Beach/Catalina Island

Postby Michelle on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:47 am

Geez, now that I've been working @ FFC for a couple months I should really update this post, huh? :lol:

FFC is vegan friendly. They have a vegan burger patty they make there that has red lentils, grains, etc in it...all vegan. Not sure about the breads though (sourdough's usually a safe bet, right?). The manager called their bakery to check if the wheat bread and buns had "dairy" in them, I suggested he ask about whey or honey but to no avail...no dairy is in those breads but I'm pretty sure just by looking at it that the wheat bread contains honey.

For a while I was hooked on their breakfast burritos...you can customize your burrito w/tons of veggies. My faves include tomato, spinach, mushrooms, potatos, and they'll toss in tofu if you ask nicely and it's readily available. You can have flour or wheat tortilla and burritos come with a side of potatos. Breakfast is served from 8-1030am btw.

The salad bar gets up and running by 11am (my usual position) and there are TONS of fresh veggies to choose from. You can add your fave protein for $1.50 (tofu being the only vegan option- it's yummy and marinated in soy sauce). You can customize your salad (small or large, though a small is pretty big) however you like...some fave ingredients include spinach, edamame, quinoa, brown rice, garbanzos, and mushrooms. Next you can add toppings like croutons (so not vegan), raisins, and/or rice noodles. Then it's off to homemade dressings...pretty sure none are vegan although we do have oil & vinegar available. Finally the chopping part. This part's kinda cool if you like your salad chopped up into bite sized pieces. We have 4 portable wells with choppers filled with water. The one on the end is marked "VEGGIE" and is only used on vegetarian/vegan salads (e.g. no meat). However, salads containing mixed shredded cheese and feta are chopped with this chopper so it's not vegan but we are VERY careful to not chop salads containing meat from this area. Also, the portable wells where the choppers are kept are rinsed well throughout the day. If you ask nicely we might even rinse out the VEGGIE chopper and well before chopping your vegan salad. ;)

Another thing I'm hooked on are the smoothies. The barista gladly makes mine with soymilk...yay! The peanut butter banana smoothie with soymilk is really good. They do offer specialty, organic coffees and soymilk is an option.
Michelle

Return to Vegan Friendly Restaurants