Purgatory Pizza with Teese Cheese!

Re: Purgatory Pizza with Teese Cheese!

Postby appletangerine on Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:43 pm

Vegans beware! The other night we ordered three vegan pizzas and one of them had real sausage on it. We always check our pizzas before we leave to make sure, and this is the first time this has happened, which made us very, very sad. When we pointed it out to the guy at the counter, he assured us that the sausage was vegan, but it just didn't look right. We've eaten Field Roast sausage before and what was on there did not look like Field Roast. So we asked the guy to please check, and when he came back from the kitchen, he said he was sorry but that was real sausage and he would make us another one. So we waited, and he came back with another pizza which still didn't look right. But our other pizzas were getting cold, so we left ignoring our better instincts. Well, to make a long story short, the new pizza he made us still had real sausage on it! And this was confirmed by two of our meat-eating friends.

The moral of the story: check that pizza!

(This was particularly disappointing because we have come to love Purgatory's vegan pizzas, but this kind of mistake is absolutely unacceptable! Real sausage on a vegan pizza -- twice! I hope someone from Purgatory reads this so they can avoid this in the future. I hate to think of some unsuspecting vegans getting fed real meat because someone in Purgtory's kitchen wasn't being conscientious. Besides, if it's not really vegan, why even bother?)
appletangerine

Postby atomique on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:20 pm

I... don't see how that would be possible??? No one that I know that works at Purgatory is a dumbdumb like that.
atomique

Postby simara on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 pm

the people who work here are very friendly
but the pizza was disgusting
the crust tasted like cardboard
the cheese was weird and gross
and the toppings were stingy and did not look fresh
as well as rather expensive
what a disappointment
also it is very hard to find and in a bad area
i would suggest Amy's cheese-less pizza at whole foods and adding follow your heart cheese and own sauce and toppings so good
or even though canoga park is far -follow your heart made a delicious vegan pizza last I went although that was several years ago..
simara

Postby lex on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Hey Simara welcome to the board! Definitely check out Pizza Fusion / Cruiser Pizza / Zpizza / Damianos / Whole Foods and get some comparisons going! Would love some positive vegan pizza feedback, too! I feel similar about Purgatory, awesome people, awesome amount of vegan toppings, but the crust is thin & rolled in oil instead of flour so if you are a crust person (like me) I want a whole grain hearty thick crust.
lex
Site Admin

Postby Christina on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:20 pm

I agree the pizza there is very very expensive. you probably aren't a fan of teese cheese and thats ok! and I think the crust when I had it was good and more like a "new york style" so you should try some of the other places Lex suggested, but not cruzer b/c I think they suck more than the problems you had at purgatory!

Every place though is pretty expensive so if you aren't that into pizza then I would just say keep what you are doing and make it yourself. you know what you like.
Christina

Postby quarrygirl on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:56 am

try zpizza!!!!!
quarrygirl

Postby Purgatory Pizza on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:38 pm

lex wrote:Hey Simara welcome to the board! Definitely check out Pizza Fusion / Cruiser Pizza / Zpizza / Damianos / Whole Foods and get some comparisons going! Would love some positive vegan pizza feedback, too! I feel similar about Purgatory, awesome people, awesome amount of vegan toppings, but the crust is thin & rolled in oil instead of flour so if you are a crust person (like me) I want a whole grain hearty thick crust.

what does "rolled in oil" mean? We do not roll dough in oil. When I make one I use flour. My guys use nothing. No one there rolls in oil. Where did you get that from?

As for the rest, pizza is VERY subjective. What one person loves another hates and that is OK. Anyone who does like us, THANKS :), anyone who does not, sorry!
Purgatory Pizza

Postby Christina on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:37 pm

open another location on the west side we miss you now that we moved!!!! :D
Christina

Postby lex on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:39 pm

yeah for sure, I definitely kept my thoughts subjective on my personal preference for crusts! When I ate there a few saturdays ago the balls of dough were covered in oil and rolled out on a stainless steal table top. Not like I'm used to where you have the dough rolled out on a floured surface. They showed me the dough bin and how it was covered with oil. I can't eat oils so I always have to ask.
lex
Site Admin

Postby Purgatory Pizza on Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:21 pm

lex wrote:yeah for sure, I definitely kept my thoughts subjective on my personal preference for crusts! When I ate there a few saturdays ago the balls of dough were covered in oil and rolled out on a stainless steal table top. Not like I'm used to where you have the dough rolled out on a floured surface. They showed me the dough bin and how it was covered with oil. I can't eat oils so I always have to ask.

that is interesting... We use a TON of flour and 2 tbs olive oil to make 20 dough balls. Whoever it was may have greased the table with oil to keep it from sticking, is all I can figure. They used a lot? hmmm.... Thanks for letting me know. When used just to "grease" it doesn't take much and will not effect crust. Can't use flour at that point. I use flour when making a pizza, the guys use nothing. You can't have any oil's lex? We use a bit in the sauce too
Purgatory Pizza

PreviousNext

Return to Vegan Friendly Restaurants