Purgatory Pizza with Teese Cheese!

Purgatory Pizza with Teese Cheese!

Postby Purgatory Pizza on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:44 pm

Hay! I own a pizzeria in downtown L.A. and wanted to offer some vegan options. We tried a few vegan cheeses and tested the pizzas on our vegan friends. We decided on Teese from Chicago Soy Dairy. It melts amazingly and has a much better taste than any others available. We are now selling 100% vegan pizzas AND delicious vegans chocolate chip cookies made by Deanna of D's Nuts. (we have non vegan food as well...)

If anyone is interested in trying a pizza or gettin' some cookies, (or maybe a salad,) come by or give us a call. We have delivery and dine in options. We're open from 6 to 11pm every day. If you do try it, lemme know what'cha think and if you have any other ideas for us. Thanks!

Purgatory Pizza
1326 East 1st Street
Los Angeles, CA 90033
(323) 262-5310
Purgatory Pizza

Re: Purgatory Pizza with Teese Cheese!

Postby Michelle on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:16 pm

Yay, finally some more vegan options in Downtown LA. Thank you! Can't wait to try your vegan pizza soon! :D
Michelle

Postby lex on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:25 pm

oh Wow!!!! Thank you so much for posting!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P
lex
Site Admin

Postby Purgatory Pizza on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:59 pm

Well someone read this post here and came in tonight. Super nice people, (brought their own wine which is PERFECT, 'cause we can't sell alcohol, but you can bring some with you.) Anyway they said they loved it and left me a note saying: "Thank you! Best Vegan Pizza in LA!" THAT made me very happy. Glad that I was there, (was supposed to be my night off.) Hopefully I'll get to meet some of the others here. If you do try it and have ANY suggestions, lemme know. Thanks!
Purgatory Pizza

Postby quarrygirl on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:28 am

we checked out purgatory pizza tonight and the vegan pizza was nothing short of amazing! check out our review:
http://www.quarrygirl.com/2009/02/01/ve ... ory-pizza/

that was us who brought the wine and left the note. it wasn't just the best vegan pizza in LA, it was the best vegan pizza ever.

the teese made a huge difference; we are so used to places using follow your heart vegan gourmet, which leaves a lot to be desired. plus, the sauce and crust at purgatory pizza were extremely delicious.

we are so grateful that a quality pizza place in its own right has started catering to vegans. thank you, thank you, thank you!

we shall be visiting you in downtown on a regular basis.

:mrgreen: :lol: :P
quarrygirl

Postby Purgatory Pizza on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:57 am

you did write "ever" not "LA" on that note! I LOVE your review of us. Thank you! We're just a tiny 'mom n' pop' shop tryin' to make a go of it, so really appreciate the kind words. :)
Purgatory Pizza

Postby lex on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:36 am

Just a note, on a busy night your pizza could take 30 mins so call ahead on your way (assuming you live far) if you plan on eating in there. Also, the dining room closes at 10:30pm - Teese/peppers/onions/tomatoes/pepperchinies
I have to say Teese didn't impress me. It really liquefies (which is rare for a vegan cheese), but doesn't provide much flavor. That being said, this is still definitely the best vegan pizza in LA. Its thin crust and it can get kind of runny, but the bottom is really crisp and provides a nice bite to it. I'm from the midwest and am a thick crust pizza man myself, but if I lived downtown I would get one of these a week. The place is really hip, and you can bring your own beer and enjoy the quirky artwork on the walls as you wait for your pie. Two thumbs up indeed!
Attachments
purgatorypizzaoutside.JPG
Purgatory Pizza
purgatorypizzaoutside.JPG (64.34 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
purgatorypizzainside.JPG
Purgatory Pizza Inside
purgatorypizzainside.JPG (56.96 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
purgatorypizza.JPG
Purgatory Pizza Vegan Teese Pizza
purgatorypizza.JPG (81.35 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
lex
Site Admin

Postby Kristin on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:48 pm

IT's ALL About the CRUST!!! :D The pi was nothing short of amazing and simply the BEST Crust EVER!!! Even though the Teese was extremely liquidy That Crust held it's own and stayed crispy at the bottom. When it comes to v-cheese, I'm a Follow your Heart kinda girl...I think Teese might be better severed in pastas & salads.
Kristin

Postby Michelle on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Just dug into a Sheese sausage pizza from Purgatory! This place is pretty cool although in a bit of an odd location- not much else around there. Found parking on the street around the corner.

Agreed Kristin, the crust is the bomb! The whole pie didn't feel greasy or leave you feeling gross or overstuffed. Very, very good! Nice to find a vegan-friendly place near Downtown LA. :)

FYI, they don't take credit cards, cash & checks only.
Michelle

Postby atomique on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Yeah, you'll notice on Utah St a small vigil set up... Someone was shot there two weeks ago.

It makes me really freaked out to have to go down there at 3:30am to bake.
atomique

Next

Return to Vegan Friendly Restaurants